Things to keep in mind while planning your trip to Leh-Ladakh:
- Keep the first day as a rest day. (probably sleep all day.) AMS can hit even the fittest of people. Your body needs time for acclimatization.
- Keep a water bottle handy. Keep yourself hydrated, since our bodies are not used to such high altitudes where oxygen levels are lesser water helps maintain the oxygen levels in the body.
- Don’t drink alcohol, take tobacco or any other kinds of drugs. Thinking that drug use has never caused me problems it won’t here as well. Alcohol/ drugs decrease the respiratory drive during sleep and can cause AMS.
- Keep camphor always close by, when you feel breathless just breathe in the smell of camphor and it will help you feel less breathless.
- Though taking random unplanned trips sounds quite fun but never apply this for Leh-Ladakh. You need to carry adequate clothing, medical care, etc. As even small things like diarrhoea can be fatal in Leh-Ladakh.
- Many people think that they have travelled to a lot of high altitude places and therefore their body won’t need acclimatization. Trust me AMS can still knock you out. Take the first day like a relaxing day. Probably sleep all day/ watch Netflix.
- Don’t overexert yourself. Especially if you don’t regularly workout.
- Don’t overeat! Don’t eat less.
- Keep covered clothing.
GOB Special Tip- Pack for all weather types 😛 “Kidding”, but do keep an umbrella or raincoat along with some warm clothing. And if you are travelling on bikes then you ought to carry a windcheater and wear sunscreen all the time
Know about my trip to Leh Ladakh here